Monday, December 21, 2009

Season of Giving

This is my favorite time of the year. There is no contest. I love Thanksgiving, and I love the Thanksgiving feast. Easter is a special time for my Christian household. Valentine's Day is a special event for my wife and I. The 4th of July is great for the patriotic perspective. But, Christmas? Oh, Christmas. There is no comparison.

Gifts are such a staple of this time of year, and I have my personal gripes with commercialization and such. But it's a fun tradition, and I participate wholeheartedly. I make my lists months ahead of time. I plan and listen for hints about special holiday desires. I try to find out what they want so I can give it to them before they have the chance to ask. I love the look on the faces of loved ones when they tear off the wrapping and find that I've given them exactly what they were looking for.

There are a lot of similarities in customer service, but the core principle is the idea of "GIVE". Our brains are wired to think profit, gain, and revenue. We pursue the almighty black bottom line with fervor and gusto, giving little thought to the effect this pursuit may have on our brand reputation. We factor ROI will all the might we can muster, and we sell, sell, sell!

But what do we give? We assume the customer perceives innate value simply in purchasing a product, but do we demonstrate value in a relationship with us? Why should they buy this product from us the next time they are in the market, and not the next guy? Why should they tell their friends about us? Why should they blog about their experience with us, or update their Twitter with our link, or share their thoughts on our brand with their Facebook throng?

They won't, if we do not give.

People love gifts. It makes them feel special, valued, cared for, important. The exact qualities your customers crave from a relationship with your brand. And what better way to make them feel this way than to offer a measure of value simply because you appreciate doing business with them? I try to make my customers feel like it profitable for them to do business with me. I want them to feel as if they have gained something in knowing me and being associated with me.

There are many ways to do this. You can make yourself a resource for information. You can educate your customers without demanding they buy something from you. You can recognize when a competitor is a better fit and pass along the referral, knowing that the positive experience will benefit you more later on. There are so many ways to give, and all of them result in customers who see inherent value in being associated with you.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog